Sunday 14 February 2010

Anton Chekhov continued

Some more work based on Anton Chekhov's 'The Black Monk', I'm just working my way through the text responding to descriptions and paragraphs. These 4 spreads are based on the scenes in the garden of Yegor Semyonitch where fire is used to protect the trees from frost. Although it's not an important part of the book, the description of the smoke curling through the trees really inspired me and links well with the descriptions of the monk himself further on in the story. I really want to fill the book this week and begin transforming these drawings and paintings into larger pieces and possibly trying to create some animations using them.

1 comment:

  1. These are really lovely. I remember that smoke curling along the ground of the garden, and I think it really captures the modern daemonic aesthetic of the story. Really beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete